Wong read philosophy in the CUHK. He graduated with a Master’s degree in 1982 and then spent several years being a school teacher before studying at the Australian National University, from where he obtained his PhD in 1990. After teaching briefly at the Open Learning Institute and University of Hong Kong, he joined the Department of Philosophy in 1993.
He works mainly in analytic philosophy. Philosophy courses he has taught include Logic, Critical Thinking, Philosophical Logic, Metaphysics, Epistemology, Applied Ethics, Philosophy of Mind, Frege & Kripke, Hume, Consequentialism, and Introduction to Philosophy.
He has published papers on philosophical logic, philosophy of language, teaching philosophy, modal semantics, epistemology, applied ethics, and Chinese philosophy. He has supervised postgraduate students working on such topics as consequentialism, mental explanation, externalism in epistemology, the metaphysics of Paul Tillich and Vijnanavadin, personal identity, Davidson’s philosophy, and social epistemology.
When not working or reading, he enjoys hiking and music.
- ‘Trespassers and Existential Import’, Thought, Vol. 8 (1), 2019, pp. 57-62. (Co-authored with Chi-Ho Hung.) (Link)
- ‘Argumentation and Common Ground’, presented at Third East-West Philosophy Forum, CUHK, March 2017.
- ‘On Jackson’s Descriptivism’, Studies in Logic (逻辑研究) 8 (2015): 52–69. (Link)
- ‘On a Decompositional Analysis of “Game”’, 2nd East-West Philosophy Forum, University of Edinburgh, 2016.
- ‘Necessary Existence and Gödel’s God’, 第七届两岸逻辑与研究学术会议, 国立台湾大学2015. (7th Cross-Strait Conference in Logic: Teaching and Research, National Taiwan University, China.)
- ‘On a New Defense of the Description Theory’, 38th International Wittgenstein Symposium: Realism, Relativism, Constructivism, Kirchberg am Wechsel, Austria, 2015.
- ‘Naming and Essence’, East-West Philosophy Forum, Soochow University, Taiwan, 2015.
- ‘Remarks on Conceptual Analysis’, American Philosophical Association Pacific Division 88th Annual Meeting, Vancouver, 2015.
- ‘On Gödel’s Ontological Proof’, 10th North-South Philosophy Forum, CUHK, 2014.
- ‘Philosophical Teaching and the Tolerant Advocate’, International Conference on Philosophical Education and Contemporary Society, Peking University, 2012.
- “Computer, Proof, and Testimony”. Studies in Logic vol.5 （2012）, no.1, pp.50-67.
- “Reference and Descriptions Re-revisited”, Invited Lecture given at Taiwan Logic and Philosophy Conference, organized by Department of Philosophy, Taiwan University. Taipei, 2009.11.
- 〈从条件句的语用强化谈论证的诠释〉。 收入林正弘编：《逻辑与哲学》，页459–476。台北：学富文化事业有限公司，2009。
- “Taking the Word of a Machine”. 《哲学研究》，2009年增刊，页157–161。Paper presented in the 第四届两岸逻辑教学与研究学术会议, organized by 香港浸会大学、香港科技大学, Hong Kong, 2009.06.24.
- “The Dynamics of Real Arguments and Conditional Strengthening”. Paper presented in The 7th International Conference on Logic and Cognition, organized by Institute of Logic and Cognition, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China, 2008.11.10.
- ‘Implicature, Conditional Strengthening, and Argumentation’, presented at Workshop on Body and Meaning III, Academia Sinica, Dec. 2008. Paper presented in the Workshop on Body and Meaning III, organized by Institute of European and American Studies, Academia Sinica, 19 pgs. Taipei, Taiwan, 2008.12.06.
- “The Four-color Theorem, Testimony and the A Priori”. Paper presented “Reduction and Elimination in Philosophy and the Sciences”, 31st International Wittgenstein Symposium on Reduction and Elimination in Philosophy and the Sciences, organized by Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 6 pgs. Kircherg am Wechsel, Austria, 2008.08.12.
- ‘The Dynamics of Real Arguments and Conditional Strengthening’, presented at The 7 th International Conference on Logic and Cognition, organized by Institute of Logic and Cognition, Sun-Yat-sen University, China. Nov. 2008.
- Co-authored with Christopher James Fraser, “Weakness of Will, the Background, and Chinese Thought” in Bo Mou (ed.) Searle’s Philosophy and Chinese Philosophy: Constructive Engagement,pp. 313–333. Leiden, the Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers, 2008. * with Searle’s Reply.
- ‘Computer, Mathematical Proof, and A Priori Knowledge’, presented at Workshop on Body and Meaning II, Institute of European and American Studies, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, Oct. 2007.
- “Euthanasia, Intentions, and the Doctrine of Killing and Letting”, in Hon-Lam Li and A. Yeung (eds.) New Essays in Applied Ethics: Animal Rights, Personhood, and the Ethics of Killing, pp. 201–215. Hampshire, Great Britain: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
- 〈诉诸群众的谬误与社会知识论-兼论知识论在逻辑学的角色〉， 《哲学研究》 页213-216. 中国北京: 中国社会科学研究所．2007年增刊.
- 〈意志不坚: 中西哲学进路比较及塞尔的”背景论”〉 (方克涛合着) . 《现代哲学》 第88期 (2006), 页83-89. 2006.10.
- 〈逻辑学与知识论的关联〉. 第二届两岸逻辑教学学术会议, 南京大学哲学系、中国逻辑学会、江苏省逻辑学会主办. 2006.10.
- “Nozick and Indigenous Truth” EurAmerica vol.36 no.2, Taipei, Academia Sincia, 2006.06.
- “Two -Dimensionalism and Kripkean A Posteriori Necessity”, in M. Garcia-Carpintero and J. Macia (ed.), Two-Dimensional Semantics, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- 〈从形式语意论到二维模态语意论〉, 《哲学研究》页167-172. 中国北京.2005年 增刊号
- “Critical Thinking through Applied Ethics and the Problem of Advocacy”, presented at the 34th Annal Conference, Philosophy of Education Society of Australasia, Hong Kong.Nov.2005
- “Two Ways of Thinking about Weaked-will Action” (with Chris Fraser), presented at International Conference on Chinese Philosophy in Analytical Perspectives, organized by National Science Council of Taiwan and Department of Philosophy at National Chenchi University. Taiwan, 9.2005.
- “From Formal Semantics to Two-dimensional Modal Semantics”, 〈金岳霖诞辰110周年纪念学术研讨会〉, 中国社会科学院, 北京. 8.2005.
- “Nozick’s Indigenous Truth and Kripke’s Thesis”, presented at 2004 Symposium on Neo-Pragmatism, Academic Sinica.
- “Metaphysical Realism, Scepticism, and Two-Dimensionalism” presented at 2003 Symposium on Neo-Pragmatism, Academic Sinica, Taipei. 12.2003.
- “Rachels on Euthanasia” (in Chinese), Chinese and International Philosophy of Medicine, Vol. 4 (2001): 57-82.
- “Propositions and Relative Apriority”, EurAmerica, vol.31, 2001, pp.1-34.
- “Rigid Designation, Existence, and Semantic for Quantified Model Logic”, 中国社会科学研究所编，《摹物求比—沉有鼎及其治学之道》，北京：社会科学文献出版社，2000。
- “Singular Propositions and the A Priori”, Journal of Philosophical Research, vol.21, 1996, pp. 107-116
- “Sentence-Relativity and the Necessary A Posteriori”, Philosophical Studies, vol.83, 1996, pp.53-91
- “A Priority and Ways of Grasping a Proposition”, Philosophical Studies, vol.62, 1991, pp.151-164