Professor, Director of MA programme
|B.A., M.Phil., Ph.D (CUHK)|
I graduated from the Chinese University of Hong Kong with a philosophy major in 1987. I then transferred to the History Department of the same university and conducted my research on Modern Chinese Intellectual History. In 1989, I returned to the Philosophy Department and completed my dissertation on the study of the transformation of Confucian thought in the seventeenth century China in 1995. Really I had never thought of becoming an academic during my postgraduate studies. At that time, postgraduate studies for me were nothing but a captivating exploration in the intellectual as well as the art of living. However I luckily got a chance to join the Philosophy Department later that significantly shaped my life to be an academic one. Luckily again my dissertation was awarded the Young Scholars Dissertation Awards of the CUHK Alumni Fund and eventually published by the Chinese University Press in 2000 after comprehensive revision. This was absolutely a confirmation to my choice to be a scholar.
In the years I am teaching at the Chinese University, teaching and research are undoubtedly the two things that satisfy me a lot, and I always try my best to get rid of different kinds of administrative work even though I know that is part of my job as well. Hence, the sabbatical year during the academic year 2002-2003 I spent at Harvard University under the Harvard Yenching Institute’s Visiting Scholars Program did mean so much to me. As a teacher of the university, I bear the following words of Confucius in mind as my motto: “Quietly to store up my knowledge in my mind, to learn without flagging, to teach without growing weary. For me there is nothing to these things.”
- Confucian thought
- Contemporary Neo-Confucianism
- History of Chinese philosophy
- Comparative studies of Chinese and western Philosophy
- Chinese culture and its modern interpretation
- 〈新自然主義哲學與中國哲學研究〉。收入劉國英、伍至學、林碧玲合編：《萬戶千門任卷舒——勞思光先生八十華誕祝壽論文集》，頁195–215。香港：中文大學出版社，2010；另重刊於《中國哲學與文化》， 9 (2011): 135–154。
- 〈書評：劉述先著《論儒家哲學的三個大時代》〉。中央研究院中國文哲研究所《中國文哲研究集刊》，37 (2011): 216–220。
- “Liu Zongzhou on Self-cultivation”. In John Makeham, ed., Dao Companion to Neo-Confucian Philosophy, pp. 337–353. New York: Springer, 2010.
- 《明清儒學轉型探析— 從劉蕺山到戴東原》，香港：中文大學出版社，2000，2009增訂本，360頁。
- “Philosophical Development in Late Ming and Early Qing”. In Bo Mou, ed., Routledge History of Chinese Philosophy, pp. 429–469. New York and London: Routledge, 2009.
- 〈論儒學中氣性一路之建立〉，收楊儒賓編：《儒學的氣論與工夫論》，台北：台大出版中心， 2005 ，頁247 – 277。