Qualifications for Admission
The programme is open to all prospective applicants who are interested in pursuing philosophy as a second degree. Applicants whose bachelor degree is in a discipline other than philosophy are eligible to apply the programme. Applicants should meet (I) General Entry Requirements according to the Graduate School and (II) Requirements by Division of Philosophy .
I. Graduate School General Entry Requirements
All applicants shall:
- have graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor’s degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; OR
- have graduated from an honours program of a recognized university with a Bachelor’s degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than “B” in undergraduate courses; OR
- have completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
*Applicants with degrees awarded by overseas universities by distance learning or by completing a curriculum of short duration may be required to provide assessment report from the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) on the level of qualification obtained.
English Language Proficiency
All students should fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement prescribed below before they are admitted:
- obtained a degree from a university in Hong Kong or taken a degree programme of which the medium of instruction was English; OR
- submit one of the following scores for assessment:
- GMAT (Verbal)
- IELTS; OR
- obtained a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
- Hong Kong Advanced Level Exam. (AS Level);
- Hong Kong Higher Level Exam;
- CUHK Matriculation Exam;
- General Certificate of Education Examination (GCE) Advanced Level (A-Level)/Advanced Subsidiary Level (AS-Level); OR
- achieved Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; OR
- obtained a recognized professional qualification, provided that the examination was conducted in English
II. Division of Philosophy Requirement
All applicants shall:
- submit an essay of motivation (about 2,000 words, in either Chinese or English) stating the level of knowledge and main field or interest in philosophy and expectation of this programme.
- two confidential recommendation
Applicants with prior training in philosophy (not required, but preferable) should also specify the level attained and provide relevant documentary proof.
Chinese Language Proficiency
Applicants who are not a native Chinese speaker shall provide public examinations results, academic records, or other relevant documentary proof for assessment.
For year 2021-22: HK $56,000 per year
Applicants may follow the following steps to complete their applications via the Online Application System:
- Enter Graduate School web page
- Select “Admission”
- Select “How to Apply “
- Select “Online Application”
- Select “Apply Now ” in Step 1
- Select “Faculty of Arts”
- Choose “Master of Arts” under Philosophy Programme, and click “Application Form” at the bottom
Make sure in the application form the programme selected is “PHILOSOPHY,” degree “MASTER OF ARTS” and the Mode of study “Part-time.”
Supporting Documents for Application
After having submitted the application via the Online Application System, applicants are required to submit the following supporting documents in the Online Application System before the application deadline (i.e. February 28, 2021).
|Documents required||Submission method|
Copies of certificates of academic/professional qualifications may include university certificates of graduation, examination certificates and proof of other qualifications.
|Please upload it under the “Document Type” – “Certificates” through the Online Application System.|
|Official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results) and grading schemes of all tertiary level studies should be submitted. Photocopies will NOT be accepted.||Applicants should download the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet and send it to the issuing universities to apply for official transcripts. Official transcripts should be sent directly to the Department of Philosophy (Room 436, Fung King Hey Building, CUHK) in a sealed envelope from the issuing university by post. Applicants please upload a copy of transcript under the “Document Type” – “Transcripts” through the online application system in advance.|
|Proof of English Language Proficiency, if the degree obtained is not from a university in Hong Kong or taken a degree programme of which the medium of instruction was not in English.||Please upload it under the “Document Type” – “English Test Report” through the Online Application System.|
|A photocopy of Hong Kong Identity Card or other identity document.||Please upload it under the “Document Type” – “HKID Card/Passport” through the Online Application System.|
|An essay of motivation (about 2,000 words, in either Chinese or English) stating their level of knowledge and main fields of interest in philosophy and expectation of this programme.||Please upload it in any one of the “Document Type” through the Online Application System.|
|Any documentary proof on prior training in philosophy, e.g. certificate of completed philosophy courses.|
|Assessment report from the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) on the level of qualification obtained, if applicants with degrees awarded by overseas universities by distance learning or by completing a curriculum of short duration.|
|Confidential recommendations from two referees. Applicants are required to invite TWO referees to complete the Confidential Recommendations Report.||After you have successfully submitted the application, you can input information of the TWO referees through the Online Application System. The system will send invitations for confidential recommendations to the referees. The referees can complete and submit the form via the system or send to the Department via email address: phil_MA@cuhk.edu.hk directly.|
Application for 2021-22 MA Programme intake
2021-22 MA Programme Application Deadline
28 Feb, 2021